Listed below are brief outlines of insurance coverage provided by or through the Transatlantic Council


Comprehensive General Liability Insurance

This coverage provides primary general liability coverage for registered volunteer Scouters with respect to claims arising out of an official Scouting activity with the exception that the coverage is excess over any insurance which may be available to the volunteer for loss arising from the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle or watercraft. This insurance is only available while the vehicle or watercraft is in the actual use of a Scouting unit and being used for a Scouting purpose. Coverage is more than $15 million for bodily injury and property damage. Because of the high limits, volunteers should NOT be placed in a position where their assets are jeopardized because of a negligence liability claim or lawsuit.

The insurance provided unregistered Scouting volunteers through the BSA general liability insurance program is excess over any other insurance the volunteer might have to his or her benefit, usually a homeowner¹s, personal liability, or auto liability policy.

There is no coverage for those who commit intentional or criminal acts.

Automobile Liability Insurance

All vehicles MUST be covered by a liability insurance policy. The amount of this coverage must meet or exceed the insurance requirement of the state in which the vehicle is licensed. (It is recommended, however, that coverage limits are at least $50,000/$100,000/$50,000.) Any vehicle carrying 10 or more passengers is required to have limits of $100,000/$500,000/$100,000 or $500,000 single limit. In the case of rented vehicles the requirement of coverage limits can be met by combining the limits of personal coverage carried by the driver with coverage carried by the owner of the rented vehicle. All vehicles used in travel outside the United States must carry a liability insurance policy that complies with or exceeds the requirements of that country. The council's automobile liability insurance is excess of the insurance the owner of the auto carries, providing insurance protection above the limits carried on the auto up to the council's $15 million limit of coverage. A tour permit or a council short-term camping permit is required when units travel overnight or outside their district. The council should establish more specific guidelines setting forth when a local council tour permit is required. National tour permits are required for all trips outside the boundaries of Transatlantic Council. These permits should list the drivers' names and limits of automobile liability insurance carried.

A tour permit or a council short-term camping permit is required when units travel overnight. Check with your local council office for other requirements. National tour permits are required for all trips outside the boundaries of Transatlantic Council.  These permits must list the drivers¹ names and limits of automobile liability insurance carried. Leaders should file local tour permits two weeks before the activity and national tour permits one month before the activity.


Council Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan (Mutual of Omaha)

This accident and sickness insurance may be provided for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, LFL participants (coverage may be purchased for all participants or only Explorers), and adult volunteer leaders registered in the council, and covers them for accidents and sickness (as well as accidental death and dismemberment) while participating in any official Scouting activity. This coverage is applied for by the council and is in effect on an annual basis. Additional information on coverage, limits, etc., may be obtained by contacting the council office.


Call phone number 0032 476 317 555 and speak to Vince Cozzone if you have a question related to insurance.